Jewish action for a just world; Tzedek works in schools and synagogues across the British Jewish community
What we do
Tzedek is the Jewish community’s response to global poverty. We work both in the UK and overseas working with individuals living below the poverty line. In the UK we run a twinning programme with primary schools, educate the community on issues of extreme poverty and send volunteers to intern in Ghana and India. Overseas we finance local projects that use sustainable methods to lift people out of poverty, network with local leaders to share best practice and assist the schooling of 10, 000’s of children in Ghana.
What we offer schools
Primary School Twinning. This is Tzedek’s flagship education programme, which builds relationships between Jewish primary schools in the UK and Ghanaian children. This programme aims to breakdown stereotypes and turn students into global citizens. We are currently working with 26 primary schools in London and Tamale, Ghana and run eight lessons throughout the academic year. We train teachers, provide lesson plans and activity sheets, and also run teacher networking sessions.
School years we work with
• Our Twinning Programme is aimed at School Year 4 although some schools will run it in SY3 or 5.
• Tzedek can run other sessions upon request, linking with Jewish Studies, Citizenship, Art and Geography
Minimum and maximum group size
Cost to school
• Twinning programme is £250 p/a. This includes twinning pack, communication assistance, teacher training, and administrative costs to and from Ghana. Plus use of Ghanaian Resource Box, use of Tzedek Cultural Library.
• Teacher Training: Free of Charge
• Additional Individual Sessions: £35 per session
This is what schools say about us
“Tzedek were the absolute backbone for all of this [the twinning programme] – without Tzedek none of this could have happened” Teacher, Clore Tikvah
“[The twinning programme] fits in with geography in the new curriculum. I’ll start by using it in PHSE too.” Teacher, Sacks Morasha